Board of Health FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Will there be spraying for mosquitoes this year, when and where?

The Town of Webster belongs to the Central Mass. Mosquito Control Project which is a program consisting of mosquito surveillance, larval mosquito control, and public education.  There are many areas that are treated.  If you want to know if the area you live in is treated, please call 508-393-3055 to speak with a representative of the program.

Q. How can I dispose of Medical Waste or unwanted medication?

The Webster Police Department has Medical Waste Collection and Drug take back events during the year. Posters are posted prior to the event. 

Q. I want to run a benefit dinner at my religious organization or club.  Do I need a food permit from the Health Department? How do I apply?

Yes, you will need to apply for a license for a special event. There is a small charge for non-profit and religious organizations. To apply, you will need to fill out a temporary food applications which will ask for a description of the food to be served, contact information, etc. You will be asked to review some basic information on food safety and to confirm that you will comply with all food safety practices required by the Board of Health.

Q. My place of worship has a kitchen that has been inspected by the Board of Health. Why would we need a separate permit for special events?

Any event at which the general public is served food will require a separate permit from the Health Department. A variety of factors affect food safety, ranging from the condition of the facility to food handling methods. The permit for individual places of worship approves the facility itself for specific, limited uses. Health Department must be notified of individual events run by different groups so that food borne illness outbreaks can be investigated, and so the hosts of the event can be given the necessary information on food safety to prevent such an outbreak in the first place.

Q. What happens if my septic system fails inspection?

If the subsurface disposal system fails an inspection, the owner normally has up to two years in which to correct the problem. However, the Board of Health may require that the owner address the problem within a shorter period should the failing system present a threat to the public health and the environment. If the property is sold, the new owner assumes responsibility for the failed septic system. The new owner may make an agreement with the town to connect to the municipal sewer system after taking ownership.

Q. Does the Board of Health perform Title Five Inspections for homeowners?

No. Individual homeowners must hire their own licensed inspector.