What permit(s) do I need?

Use permits and site plan approval permits are determined based on the Zoning By-law (ZBL). Sometimes the ZBL is not clear in which case you can confer with the Zoning Enforcement Officer (ZEO who is also the Building Commissioner). The ZEO who can review your idea / project to determine which land permits may or may not be required.

It’s always best to do some research before you contact the ZEO. Start with reviewing the Zoning By-Law and Zoning Map which are your best research resources in understanding what may or may not be allowed on a particular lot. The Town’s website has a number of on-line tools to help you gather the information you need such as the Assessor’s database (property record cards), Zoning Map & GIS, Zoning By-Law (on line, searchable version).

Please contact the Building Department to reach the Zoning Enforcement Officer.

Show All Answers

1. Getting Help – Where to Go? What to Do?
2. How permitting works - building permits vs. land use permits?
3. What permit(s) do I need?
4. What happens after I file my application?
5. What is the state mandated time line for processing a Variance application?
6. What is the state mandated time line for processing Special Permit applications?
7. Do permits expire? How do I extend the time period for my permit?
8. Abutter Notification - What Do I Need to Know?
9. I have a project idea but I'm not ready to submit a formal application. What are my options?
10. How do I review all materials submitted in advance of the meeting?
11. I have a question that isn’t on this list – Now What?