Starting the week of April 22, 2019, the Water Department will begin flushing hydrants throughout the Town and will continue until it is completed. Flushing of hydrants will be conducted during normal business hours in most areas. We expect the program to be completed within 6 to 8 weeks.
The uni-directional flushing (UDF) program is very important to the maintenance of the town's domestic water distribution system. Twice a year, the Water Department systematically opens hydrants throughout the Town to clear out sediment build up and allow water to flow at a high velocity through the distribution mainlines. This operation serves the following purposes:
- Enhances water quality by removing sediments from inside the mainline and flushing them out through the hydrant.
- Identifies malfunctions of the hydrant and related valves.
- Helps determine weaknesses in the water distribution system.
- Identifies inadequate water volumes and pressures in the mainlines.
- Helps determine fire flows at the hydrant.